• Harry Harvey surprised rescuers when he turned up to his own press conference
    Harry Harvey surprised rescuers when he turned up to his own press conference

Rescue teams in the UK got an unexpected surprise when an elderly hiker they were searching for turned up to his own press conference.

Harry Harvey disappeared in dense North Yorkshire woodlands last Sunday, after telling his family he was going for a hike.
But as police were preparing to make a public appeal for help, rescuers stumbled upon the 80-year-old moments before they started broadcasting.

Speaking to reporters, Mr Harvey said got separated from his walking group during a heavy hailstorm and spent the three days living off tinned beans.

Even though conditions were harsh, and Mr Harvey lost his glasses during a fall, he still managed to have a sense of humour about the ordeal.

"I rang my wife when I was found – I didn't give her chance to get angry with me, I put the phone down before she could be," he said.

After spending four days searching for the experienced hiker, local authorities called for a press conference at The Tan Hill Inn last Wednesday when Harvey was found by a wildlife photographer and brought to the pub for a reunion with his family.

"I just got separated by getting caught in a really heavy hailstorm, a howling gale of wind," Harvey said in an Facebook Live video shared by the inn. "By the time I got my kit on it was getting really dark, so I missed what I would say was a turning. I had a plan B straight away, find somewhere safe to camp, put my tent up, keep warm, and that was it."

"The place where we got separated was absolutely desolate, there was no chance of putting a tent up that's for sure, so I had to find somewhere safe, which is what I did," he continued.

Harvey said he even spotted searchers during his time in the wilderness, though he did not realise that they were looking for him. During the ordeal, the hiker only suffered a bump on his head from falling into a stream.

"I had three really good wild camping nights where I was on my own and had all the kit I needed," he said.


comments powered by Disqus