The official app to walk NZ's longest walk, Te Araroa, has received a makeover.
As a registered walker, the app with provide you with the best available information in real time including route changes and access to more offers and discounts from our trail partners.
- iPhone users will find a completely redesigned user interface, attractive and sleek in design, with some significant new features:
- Beautifully detailed topo map covering all of New Zealand
- Sections of Te Araroa with alerts now show on the map with yellow/black symbology
- Trail Notes (including Alerts and Elevation profile) are available by tapping the section of trail and swiping up
- Tap on DOC huts and campgrounds for basic information about them
- All of this is available offline by default, and updated with the latest data each time you restart the app (if you’re in service)
Android users will have a more familiar experience while the tech people work to bring it up to the same standard as the iPhone app, but with a few great improvements:
- Trail Notes (including Alerts and Elevation profile) can now be viewed by tapping on the track section in the map, or from the menu
- Alerts are now ordered in the list North to South
- All of this is synced automatically once a day to show the latest data (when in service), or on demand by the user
Te Araroa (The Long Pathway) is New Zealand's long distance tramping route, stretching 3,000km along the length of the country's two main islands from Cape Reinga at the top of the North Island to Bluff at the bottom of the South.
Officially opened in 2011, it is made up of a mixture of previously made tracks and walkways, new tracks, and link sections alongside roads. Tramping the full length of the trail generally takes three to six months.
Register to walk and get access to the app here.