TERMS AND CONDITIONS
1. Great Walks Wilderness Photographer of the Year is open to citizens and residents of Australia and New Zealand. For the purposes of this competition, a resident is defined as a person who has lived in Australia or New Zealand for at least six months at the time of entering this competition. To be eligible to receive a prize you must have an Australian or New Zealand mailing address.
2. Images must have been captured on or after 1 January 2021. If EXIF data indicates an image was captured before 1 January 2021 it may be disqualified. Images previously entered in Wilderness Photographer of the Year are not eligible to win a prize.
3. An entrant may enter more than one category. Multiple entries within a category are also permitted.
4. Employees of Yaffa Media Pty Ltd and the sponsors of Wilderness Photographer of the Year are not eligible to win a prize.
5. Freelance writers/photographers who have been paid to contribute to Great Walks since 1 January 2023 are not eligible to win a prize.
6. Entry pricing is in Australian Dollars (AUD). Entry price is per entry.
7. For the purposes of this competition, Wilderness is defined as a natural environment that has not been significantly modified by human activity. However, images that show the effects of human impact on the environment are eligible for the competition, in the context of illustrating the fragility or resilience of the natural world.
There are two categories in Wilderness Photographer of the Year, People and Places.
8. People category
Images should include one or more people in the frame.
9. Places category
Images should not include people in the frame.
10. In post-production you can adjust 'photographic' variables such as exposure, contrast, colour, noise and sharpness. Lens and perspective corrections, cropping and black-and-white conversions are also allowed.
11. Images must be single capture. Composite images, where elements from more than one image are merged in post-production to form a new image are not permitted. However, stitched panoramas, focus stacks and HDR images may be entered, as long as the component images are captured at the same location and within a 12-hour time period.
12. Cloning to remove distractions or add new elements to an image is not allowed.
13. Images created wholly or in part with the assistance of artificial intelligence, 3D, or illustration processes may not be entered.
14. Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify an image if they feel it lacks authenticity due to over-manipulation.
15. The organisers reserve the right to request original unedited image files including RAW files.
16. Images must be 100% photographic in origin. The use of stock images or clip art is forbidden.
17. Wilderness Photographer of the Year supports the safe and legal operation of remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), including drones. All entries captured with an RPA must comply with local rules and regulations. Any images suspected of being captured illegally will be disqualified. In order to be eligible for a prize, entrants must be able to provide verifiable EXIF data including drone type, position (latitude and longitude), and altitude information. Competition organisers reserve the right to disqualify any image they suspect may have been captured illegally.
18. Entrants retain copyright of their images. By entering the competition, the entrant provides Great Walks and Wilderness Photographer of the Year a limited-use authorisation to distribute and publish entered photos for the sole purpose of promoting Great Walks' Wilderness Photographer of the Year. Images will be credited with the name of the photographer when used in any publicity for the competition.
19. The entrant must be the creator of all elements in their submitted images. Any post-production and editing must be the work of the entrant.
20. Image format: Images must be in JPEG (.jpg) or PNG (.png) format.
21. Image dimensions: Images should be at least 2,500 pixels on the longest edge.
22. Image file size: Individual images must be no larger than 5MB.
23. Images should not include watermarks or other branding. The competition organiser reserves the right to disqualify any entry with a watermark or other branding.
24. Closing date for entries is Sunday 22 October 2023 at 11.59pm (AEST).
25. Entries will be shortlisted by the staff of Great Walks, published by Yaffa Media (ABN 54 002 699 354), 17-21 Bellevue Street, Surry Hills, NSW.
26. A panel of professional photographers and industry experts will judge the shortlisted entries and vote to determine a winner in each category.
27. In the event of a tie for first or second place, the relevant images will be returned to the judges for an additional round of voting.
28. The overall winner will be selected from the two category winners.
29. Judges' decisions are final and no further correspondence will be entered into.
30. Winners and Runners-up will be announced on www.greatwalks.com.au in February 2023. Winners Runners-Up and Top 10 entries in each category will be published in the February-March 2023 edition of Great Walks magazine.
31. Winners, Runners-Up, Top 10, Top 20, Highly Commended and Commended entrants will also receive a PDF certificate via email.
32. Prize money is in Australian dollars (AUD).
33. Product prizes are subject to availability, not transferable or exchangeable and cannot be taken as cash. If a prize is unavailable, the competition organiser reserves the right to substitute the prize with a prize of similar value or specification.
34. The Life's an Adventure prize includes the following (BM to complete). It does not include airfares, airport connections, travel insurance.
35. Entry fees are non-refundable.
36. The entrant indemnifies Yaffa Media Pty Ltd (ABN 54 002 699 354) against any claim, legal or otherwise, that may arise out of the publication of images.
37. Yaffa Media Pty Ltd reserves the right to disqualify any entry deemed to be in breach of these Terms and Conditions.
38. By entering images into this competition the entrant guarantees to Yaffa Media Pty Ltd that all of the above Terms and Conditions have been met. Any entry found to breach the above Terms and Conditions will be disqualified and all prize money and product prizes must be returned to Yaffa Media Pty Ltd.
39. The information in these terms and conditions supersedes information in other parts of this website.